I started the engine overhaul on August 6, 2000 and was mostly finished by the End of 2003. Most of the restoration steps overlapped in time. When stumped on a problem or waiting for parts, I often started the next step in the process. The engine is a Continental C-85-12F, 85 horsepower, with a takeoff rpm of 2575. It is a horizontally-opposed four cylinder engine, 4 1/16 bore, 3 5/8 stroke, 188 cubic inches displacement. The basic engine weight is 168.6 lbs. It is filled with 4 ½ quarts of oil.
After dry assembling the fuselage and tail surfaces, in September 2000 I took the Continental C-85 to John Waltrowski to determine
what could be salvaged. After checking with a micrometer, we found that the crankshaft was not bent nor the propeller hub, a
big surprise to both of us. It turned out that the engine could be restored. My $500 in parts was suddenly worth about
$4000. I began careful disassembly of the engine for sending out parts for inspection. Most of the disassembly, evaluation,
and packing took a year, working a little at a time. I shipped the crankshaft, the cam shaft, the pistons, cylinders, valve
train, and other parts to Columbia Aircraft Services, Inc., Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, on August 12, 2001. It took awhile before
I had enough parts back to begin reassembly. Two years later, by October 2003, and $4562.55 later, I had a new engine, at least
parts for one.
As far as I can determine, no one makes crankshafts or cases for the old (small) Continentals anymore. If you bend a crankshaft, you have to find a surviving engine or send the bent one to the trash. I was fortunate that my crankshaft had enough remaining metal to be ground for a new set of bearings. I had to get a new camshaft, but Columbia Aircraft Services found one for me. They also found me an oil sump, nearly as difficult to find as crankshafts.